I am an aspiring planner and educator with a passion for cities and working with youth. I bring to all my pursuits an analytical and details-oriented mind, lots of initiative, and a breadth of abilities and interests:
McGill University (Montreal, QC)B.Ed. 2013
Bachelor of Education — Secondary Mathematics
Academic scholarships include:
- Phyllis Shapiro Award, awarded for excellence in student teaching
- Jean Rich Foundation scholarship, awarded to one Education student with high academic achievement
University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC)B.Sc. 2009
Bachelor of Science — Combined Honours in Computer Science and Mathematics
Academic scholarships include:
- BMO National Scholarship, awarded to the top four Canadian students entering UBC
- Premier’s Excellence Award, awarded to the top fifteen high school graduates in British Columbia
American School Foundation of Monterrey (Monterrey, Mexico)2013-present
Have taught Statistics 12, Pre-Calculus 11 and Geometry 9. Plan engaging courses, instruct student-centred classes, and collaborate with partner teachers on shared assessments. Sponsor extracurricular activities including Debate club and the Ambassadors, a group which welcomes new students.
- Designed new school bell schedule to improve teaching and learning, which was piloted in spring of 2015 and approved for the 2015-16 school year.
- Developed a new Statistics 12 curriculum to focus on core understandings in statistics and real-life contexts, resulting in a 50% jump in enrolment in the course.
Shad Valley (Vancouver, BC, Kingston, ON, and Saskatchewan, SK)2009-13
Managed staff, logistics and finances of month-long residential technology and entrepreneurship program for around fifty top students in senior high school. Was specifically responsible for event planning, risk management, staff training and supervision, financial reporting, and maintaining relationships with external organizations.
- Initiated and delivered a training program for junior staff at the UBC campus.
- Programmed and field-tested a web application to streamline campus financial reporting.
- In 2013, helped develop a new campus as Program Manager at the University of Saskatchewan.
International Debate Education Association (Worldwide)2010-12
Project Coordinator and Debate Trainer
Implemented debate training and development projects with the aim of promoting debating and active citizenship around the world. Wrote and taught debate curriculum for media camps held around the world.
- Taught debate to young media professionals from around South-East Asia in Thailand (2011), and from the Baltic states in Latvia (2012).
- Conducted workshops and judged at China’s largest university debate tournament.
Pyeongchon POLY Magnet (Anyang, South Korea)2010-11
Prepared and taught debate, writing and ESL classes full time to students from Grades 1 to 7. Spearheaded the implementation of debate-specific web materials at my campus.
Canadian Student Debating Federation (Canada-wide)2007-14
Director, President (2012-13)
Led the Board of Directors to determine the direction of the organization, coordinated with local hosts to organize the annual National Student Debating Seminar, spearheaded fundraising and other long-term projects, coordinated with the McLeese Foundation to hire the McLeese Chair in Canadian Debate.
- Authored new guidelines for the National Seminar and worked with hosts to implement major changes, leading to a renewal of lost funding and an increase in attendance at the Seminar.
University of British Columbia Debating Society (Vancouver, BC)2005-09
Executive Member, President (2007-08)
Was instrumental in managing an organization that is both a varsity team and one of UBC’s largest student clubs. As President, planned the direction of the Society and the agenda of the Executive. Also developed debating resources, delivered training workshops and mentored local high school debaters through the High School Outreach Program.
- Secured $20,000 funding for the Society and $10,000 for its High School Outreach Program.